kizzleme

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wentworth Miller -- sex symbol *and* role model??

Since the rise in popularity of the show "Prison Break", my claim to fame (for the moment) is that I went to summer camp with Wentworth Miller. And since I start watching the show myself (where I discovered that he was acting as a profession), I've been reading all sorts of write-ups and interviews with him and I'm here to make a statement: he's a good role model for the gen-Xers and beyond. Let me tell you why...

First and foremost, Wentworth is an extremely intelligent person. When we were kids (age 14-15) he was reading the newspaper and speaking lucidly and profoundly on current issues. Not only that, but he was able to make appropriate jokes about such issues that showed his complete understanding of situations (not to mention is his incredible sense of humor, which often left me laughing myself silly). He was most definitely ahead of his time. So, his getting into Princeton was no fluke.

Secondly, his parents have instilled in him a strong sense of identity, respect and reverence and work ethic. My mom has often commented, since my re-discovery of this old friend, that he was always very gracious, polite and respectful. He always said his "pleases" and "thank yous". This is not a trait very common in most people, let alone 14 year old boys! He also maintained a certain amount of pride in his inherited name: Wentworth Earl Miller III. I know it was difficult for him to withstand the ridicule of having such a lofty and pretentious name, but he carried it with dignity and it affirmed in him his own sense of uniqueness. I also discovered that when he moved to L.A. to pursue his acting career he worked as a temp in a bookstore (Borders, if I'm not mistaken). Anway, he could easily have leeched off his parents, as they were not poor. But he worked day and night (night, mostly to get his name "out there" via mailing headshots, etc.) for a few years. I can imagine that it was a difficult job for him and maybe a little demeaning, being a Princeton grad. But he rolled up his sleeves and persevered.

Thirdly, when interviewed for articles, he does not ramble on about going to this party or that. Or about his little poodle that cuddles up in his man purse (I'm not suggesting that he carries one, just alluding to that skank-ho-waste-of-life Paris Hilton). He says things like (to parapharase), to pursue an acting career in Hollywood, you have to have the heart of an artist, but the mind of a bureaucrat. Or he hopes that fame will make him a better person and not have it bring out the worst in him (referencing a charmed piece of advise that Anthony Hopkins bestowed on him). I believe both statements can be applied to any of our lives in some way. And I'm glad he's speaking them.

Finally, the fact that Wentworth is wildly multiracial I think will bridge the great race divide in this country. Racism is still deeply ingrained here, as demonstrated by Ice Cube's social experiment "Black/White", and Wentworth is a person that will and does appeal to the masses - no matter what race. And because he's so intelligent and well-spoken, he will break the stereotypes. I believe many will be rooting for his success - I for one am.

As an adolescent, Wentworth was highly misunderstood and ridiculed for being different, but this uniqueness is exactly what's going to launch him into stardom. The past is gone and his time has come.






***A note to Wentworth: if you ever happen upon this blog, please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors. I was only a History major :)

7 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Zach said…

    Really it's all about him being good looking.
    Wait, what? Oh yeah, blah blah blah brains blah blah blah role model.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Kizzle said…

    You make a very good point, ZDB!

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Mama Bear said…

    Wentworth E. Miller III for President!

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Krissie said…

    With all those horrible things being written about him all around, it's a pleasure to read something completely different.
    We, the fans, love him and admire him for those reasons precisely.
    Thank you!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger AJ said…

    Beautifully said! Thank you for writing this.

    and I second MB's Wentworth E. Miller, III for President! Hell, I'd vote for him...

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger PrimulaBlue said…

    kizzleme, you mention that Went was misunderstood and ridiculed, yet you describe him as exceedingly bright and polite. And from the interviews I've read, he's been described many times as being very much a gentleman.

    Are you comfortable in sharing why you feel he was ridiculed? Was it jealousy, or because he didn't fit in with the typical kids?

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger nietta said…

    I have had occasion to meet him.
    Is a person, truly unique and wonderful.
    I hope you of obtaining everything they want.
    kizzeleme thanks for your post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home